Monday, December 6, 2010

My quest into Tween-ville

As a youngster, Claire's was a place I *had* to stop when I was in the mall, which was often. It was a haven of low-priced costume jewelry and accessories that every tween had to have. It was small, cramped and always overrun with tweens just like me.

Fast forward over 20 years. I had not stepped foot in Claire's in what seemed like an eternity, and rightly so as my awkward teen years are firmly behind me. However, when I read about Claire's mood changing nail polish online, I had to take a deep breath and venture in.

It was small, cramped and overrun with tweens, now significantly younger than me. And there it was, the nail polish display. I grabbed 6 of the color-changing nail polishes and 2 glow-in-the-dark nail polishes (being as it was buy 1 get 1 half off).

So, today, I tried the coral/light peach color. The sticker on the cap says "Excited/Bored". Although, the "bored" color (light muted peach) seems to be associated with warmer temperatures and the "excited" color (coral) associated with colder temperatures. Wouldn't it make sense to be the opposite? And I'll be damned if it didn't change color!

Three coats with OPI topcoat. See the color change on my pinky?

The formula was awfully streaky and caused the worst cuticle drag. The color looks awful on me as well. But it changes color! If I had longer nails you would be able to see a distinct delineation between the nail bed (warm) and the tip (cool). The color dries to a strange plastic/satin finish that I didn't care for. However, all of that was fixed with a quick OPI topcoat. 

When I walked outside in the frigid December weather, my whole nail changed to the darker coral color:

  After a few minutes outside in 30 degree temps

After about a half of an hour, the color was back to the light muted peach. 

  Cold pinky

 Two-toned pinky a half hour later


All in all, for $5 it was really neat to see the color changes. However, right now, after not even 12 hours of wear, I got a major chip on my index finger. Oh well, just another excuse for me to change colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...