Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Butter London - All Hail McQueen

For those not in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US, the fair state of Delaware has no sales tax. This makes it a popular shopping destination for big-ticket items. Recently, the dearest and I bundled up our 5 year old spitfire of a boy and trekked down to Delaware to the only Best Buy that had a Christmas present we wanted in stock. The store is only about 25 minutes from our house, so it isn't too out of the way. When we pulled into the parking lot my eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat - There was an Ulta right next door!

I love Ulta. I have one two minutes from my office and a different one 15 minutes from my house. Sometimes I just wander around and touch all the polishes, palettes and body washes. And here was one I haven't been inside of in a long time. I hustle the dearest and the spitfire into Best Buy and duck into Ulta nextdoor. This store was HUGE! Not only was it huge, it was bustling. I stroll around, wide-eyed ad the massive displays, holding so much more than the two near me. And then, I see it.

The Butter London display. Those around me most likely heard my audible gasp. I can't tell you how many times I have had a series of Butter London polishes in some online cart and then abandoned it because I didn't want to buy it sight unseen. Well, no longer! I mulled over the display, walked away to see something else, wandered back, like I was trying to surreptitiously make eyes at the good-looking guy at a bar. Finally, I parked myself in front of the display and went to town. If the finances would let it, I would have bought the whole display. As my checking account does have a cap on it, I settled for three. I picked up Marrow, Artful Dodger and All Hail McQueen.



Marrow and Artful Dodger are colors that are right up my alley, but All Hail McQueen was a bit of a departure - color wise. However, it had a holographic finish to it. How could I pass it up?

 The color is a warm light beige with a holographic finish. It is a color dedicated to the late fashion designer Alexander McQueen. The lines aren't delineated like the Nfu-Ohs or the China Glaze holos, but there is a lovely flash of multicolored glimmer that I simply cannot resist. It is the polish form of chocolate - it just calls me.

The oddly shaped cap slides off like the Chanel and Dior lacquer caps, leaving a somewhat stubby cap to use. It wasn't too bad, though. The formula lives up to its name and applies like butter. I used two coats over Orly Bonder with a top coat of Seche Vite.

Shimmer!

My manicure chipped, but not due to the polish. Either the tips peeled (which they are, unfortunately, wont to do) or the tips broke. Even with that the manicure still looked good three days later, due to the light, neutral color. It most definitely hides chips better than the dark colors I tend to wear.

The color is perfect for an office setting. It's neutral but with just a bit of bling. This is heading into high rotation.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...